Month: March 2017
“A scout is … thrifty, brave, clean and reverent … AND HUNGRY!”
Do you have others? Share in comments or email to us.
From Ember Advisor Greg Hoyes:
Do to many people being on Spring Break, April’s Ember meeting will be on April 9th, instead of April 2nd. We know that still not miss everyone on Spring Break, but hopefully some people will still be able to attend on the new meeting date.
Hope to you everyone a week from Sunday.
Yours in the Fire
Greg Hoyes XXX
North Star Ember Adviser
The executive board approved new district boundaries last night. Welcome to our 4 new units! Troop 72 and Pack 72 at Tabernacle Presbyterian and Pack 747 and Troop 180 at St Richard’s School.
For years you have been trained to file tour permits for all trips not to council camp grounds.
We have heard rumors that this was changing.
Interestingly, if you view the National website, nothing has changed. Let’s wait to see how this develops.
UPDATED 3/31/17 at 9:50 pm: It is official.
News from Dallas is that Scoutmaster Specific Training for Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmasters is now available online like Committee Training and Merit Badge Counselor Training.
Introduction to Outdoor Leadership Training remains face-to-face training.
From Greg Jacoby, Council and Troop 174:
Based on the success of our involvement last year, [North Star District] and all other scouts from the Crossroads Council have been asked to increase the presences of the Boy Scouts at the 500 Festival. The Boys Scouts have been involved in many behind the scene activities with the 500 Festival but one the council goals it makes Boy Scouts more visible in the community.
One way to get the Scouts out in front, is to have them help with the Mini-Marathon and so we have been asked to man water station number 17 at the Mini-Marathon on May 6. It is the water station just before the end of the race, and is located on the IUPUI campus making it very easy to get to and park.
This activity is for all the Scouts, Cub Scout and Weblos. Additionally, this is open to all their family members. This is one of the only activities that children accompanied by an adult leader can volunteer during the 500 festival.
We need 80 people to come help, (two shifts of 40, one early morning and then mid-morning) The water station is open from 7 am to 1pm. People can work all morning, or in 4 hours shifts. If you are interested in getting involved, please let me know by email and then sign up on the web site https://2017mmpit.my-trs.com/.
Attached is the 500 Festival volunteer web site sign up instructions.
Thanks for your help and as always call my cell 317-828-6230 or email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Yours in Scouting
PLEASE SIGN UP ON LINE BY APRIL 12 2017
1. Log onto our Pit Station volunteer website https://2017mmpit.my-trs.com/
2. Click on the “registrar now” link
4. Welcome to the 500 Festival online registration, please read the important information
5. Click the purple” Volunteer Registration” button on the right side of the page.
6. Select “500 Festival Volunteer
7. select individual and then create your account
Thanks for helping to promote Scouting.
Questions? If you have any reach out to Volunteer Intern, Stephanie Forsythe via email firstname.lastname@example.org or 317-614-6113 or Program Manager, Jennifer Livesay at email@example.com
North Star District is planning on holding three training sessions at the Spring Camporee at Camp Ransburg on Saturday, April 23rd.
- Scoutmaster Specific Training. Required for all scoutmaster, assistant scoutmasters, and scoutmaster-candidates to be rechartered in October 2017. (4 hours, likely beginning at 9:00 am.) National keeps promising that this will be offered online eventually. To date, it has not. This is recommended for Junior Assistant Scoutmasters.
- Introduction to Outdoor Leadership Skills (with Outdoor Webelos Leadership Skills). This is required for all Scoutmasters, Assistant Scoutmasters, and Webelos Den Leaders. It is highly recommended for Cubmasters, Junior Assistant Scoutmasters, and Troop Committee members camping with scouts. This is an in-person only class. This will start 9:00 pm Friday and run from 9:00 am Saturday through dinner time Saturday. (We will try to get done early.) Eagle Scouts earned since 2002 are automatically waived for this class, since the class is designed to teach the Scout to First Class Scout Curriculum under the current Advancement system. Notify Con or Jeff if you have any eligible for this waiver, and we will talk you through how to proceed.
- CPR and AED training. This will likely be offered twice. Once in the morning and once in the afternoon. Class space is limited. This is required for at least one person on a high adventure outing.
We are happy to have scouters join us as faculty. Long classes are easier on the student if they get a variety of faculty throughout the day.
We will be posting a sign up for these classes shortly.
From Swim Test Coordinator Brian Crow:
Please find see linksbelow regarding the upcoming Swim Test at the Pike Aquatic Center on Monday, April 17, 2017.To date, I have only heard from four Troops (56,69, 73, 343) and one Venture Crew (1121).And a great big “Thank You” shout out to Jerry Ritchie from Troop 343 for coordinating all of this with the Pike Aquatic Center!!Brian
Our April Roundtable will focus on having great and memorable annual plans. We will start at 7:00 pm at St Luke’s Luke’s Lodge (the outbuilding on St Luke’s Campus), 100 W 86th St, Indianapolis, IN 46260.
We will have ideas. We will have discussions about past successes and failures. We will have calendars for all upcoming district functions through 2018 so that you can plan way ahead.
All units should send a representative . . . or three!
Watch this site for more information.
Just a quick reminder about the District Committee Meeting on Thursday, April 6, 2017, starting at 7:00 pm at Second Presbyterian Church, 7700 N Meridian St, COMMON ROOM, Indianapolis, IN 46260. Yes, this is a change from our normal room. The church has a big event and they are using the entire 4th floor.
The District Commissioners Staff Meeting (meaning all unit commissioners, roundtable commissioners, and ADC’s) will meet as usual at 6:00 pm. Room has not been announced yet.