There is a true Merit Badge University coming up. This term used to refer to opportunities to work on merit badges with university professors and researchers in the field.
Over the years, it has devolved into a generic term of any large gathering of merit badge classes.
Wabash University is going back to the original concept . . . some of our district’s former scouts, according to rumor, helping organize it.
Here is more information from Jessica Hofman, Sugar Creek’s District Executive via Con Sullivan:
Want to learn about game design from a theater professor and video game reviewer? Or help with a research study on turtle behavior as you learn the material for the Reptiles and Amphibians merit badge? Or learn about astronomy from professors who have taught courses on Mayan archeoastronomy? Or consider how buildings are designed from a Roman Architecture and Archeology expert?
These are just a few of the offerings at the Merit Badge College at Wabash on May 6th! All of the badges (except First Aid) will be taught by college professors who are experts in the subject. The cost is $20, and includes a T shirt and lunch. There will be fun lunchtime activities and sessions for parents to learn about scouting and college opportunities. You can register at https://www.scoutingevent.com/160-WabashMBC Registration closes on April 15th, and classes will fill, so register early!
Wabash’s faculty already has a strong relationship with council. One of their economics professors is Sugar Creek’s district commissioner.
This is a great opportunity for older scouts to go visit the beautiful campus in Crawfordsville and work with Wabash’s impressive faculty . . . with no grade pressure!
Here is more information:
Sugar Creek District2017 Wabash Merit Badge CollegeJoin us for a great learning opportunity and chance to work on your merit badges at an awesome venue! Join us at Wabash College for the first annual Wabash Merit Badge College. Reserve your spot now!
- The college will be at Wabash College in Crawfordsville, Indiana on Saturday, May 6th.
- There will be two sessions (one from 9:30 to Noon and another from 1:30 to 4:00) with lunchtime activities in between.
- Registration Cost is $20.00 for Scouts which includes courses, lunch, and a event T-shirtAll Day Merit Badges (requires both morning and afternoon sessions):
- Space Exploration
- Reptile and Amphibian Study
- Game Design
- First AidHalf Day Merit Badges (offered in one or both sessions, but does not require both sessions to complete):
- Nuclear Science (afternoon, might open morning if there is enough demand)
- Architecture (morning or afternoon)
- Medicine (morning or afternoon)
- Astronomy (morning)
- Citizenship in the World (afternoon)
- Family Life (morning)Lunch Break Activities:
- Chemistry Merit Badge
- Ultimate Frisbee on the Mall
- Activities for Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class Ranks (tree and plant identification, knot tying, flag etiquette, map and compass/GPS navigation course around campus)
Take a look!