Back to School Night
North Star Cub Scout Open Houses are on the following dates (all start times 6:30 pm):
Monday Aug 13: St. Joan of Arc
Tuesday Aug 14: Washington Twp. Elementary Schools (Crooked Creek, Fox Hill, Greenbriar, Nora, Spring Mill)
Wednesday Aug 15: Zionsville Community Elementary Schools (Boone Meadow, Eagle, Pleasant View, Stonegate, Union)
Tuesday Aug 21: Butler Labs
Thursday Aug 23: Pike Twp. Elementary Schools (Central, College Park, Deer Run, Eagle Creek, Eastbrook, Fishback, Guion Creek, New Augusta South, Snacks Crossing)
More schools will likely be added soon as their scheduling is confirmed.
You can also visit the Crossroads of America Council Facebook “Events” page to follow individual Open House events: CAC Events Page .
BSA has provided guidance for marketing Family Scouting. In some part it is simply a reminder to follow the Scout Law in marketing with concrete examples of violations of the Scout Law in this context.
Even so, it gives a checklist of “don’ts.”
Make sure you review this against your unit websites and emails.
Mark your calendars for Thursday July 12 – the 2018 Membership Roundup meeting will be held that evening from 6:00 – 9:00 pm at St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, 100 West 86th St., Indianapolis 46260. This will be held in rooms N101 and N102. More details to follow!
We are now in the midst of Cub Scout Recruiting. Some quick reminders to all Packs and Troops.
(1) Make sure to send your list of names to Con Sullivan from any list of prospects. This list will allow Con to get those prospects on the Council email and text reminder system. The goal is to make sure your prospects show up at your recruitment nights. Photograph your list and email to Con before you leave the ice cream social or other recruitment activity. They may be blurry and need follow up. Sometimes they don’t. To improve success, use an app like CamScanner to change photos into PDFs. They remove background noise and darken written words. You can see the preview before you send it.
(2) Take something to give to kids. You can get a large bag of candy from Sam’s Club or Costco. You will have flocks of kids around your table. Cub Scout pencils and the frisbies from Council are good, too.
(3) Make sure that your prospect has the date, time, and location of your joining night.
(4) Have prospects sign Membership Applications wherever you can. If they want to sign up at an Ice Cream Social, give them the application. Have a credit card reader (like Square.com) on hand to allow immediate dues payment.
(5) Have as many adults in uniform at your recruitment night as possible. If you don’t have many adult leaders in your pack, ask your most supportive troop to send leaders. Troop leaders want to help, but they don’t want to step on pack leaders’ toes. If you ask, troop leaders will be there. Uniforms help re-assure prospective parents that your pack has solid leadership and support.
(6) If you don’t have enough pack parents to cover a school, make sure to ask troop leaders to fill gaps. Make sure they know your program’s basic’s well: cost of dues, annual calendar, recruitment night logistics, proposed den and pack meeting times. Remember most Troop leaders have never dealt with Lion Cub or the current Cub Scout Advancement program, since the programs are so new. Bring the leaders up to speed.
Thank you to all of our Cub Scout Packs for sending representatives to our Membership Rally on July 22nd. We had only two units that could not send representatives that day. They had their material picked up within two business days!
That is fanastic. Thank you for being so dedicated to your boys and the growth of their units.
Now the work begins.
Remember, families are easiest to recruit when they know what they are being asked to do. That means that you need a Pack Annual Calendar, a cost of the program per scout for the year, clear publications stating the Pack dues and their due dates. I highly recommend setting tentative den meeting times. Make it clear that the dens can change times.
The council is working to recruit Latino boys. If you feel that your unit would be well served by having a Spanish speaking interpreter at Back to School Night, please email Jeff and let him know the dates you need the interpreter. We cannot guarantee all requests can be fulfilled, especially all on the same night. Even so, if we don’t have a request for services, we can’t serve.
If you have other questions, please let us know as early as you can, so that we can help solve problems.
From District Executive Con Sullivan:
North Star Scouters,
Please join us (and/or send your pack recruitment chair) for breakfast on Saturday, July 22nd between 9 am and 11 am at Luke’s Lodge (outbuilding on northeast corner of campus of St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, 100 W 86th St, Indianapolis, IN 46260). This will be an open house format, come when you can. I would like an RSVP so we can pack up once everyone has attended.
Packs will pick up their Registration Night boxes, Open House bags, and Community Yard Signs. Troops can sign up for which Packs/Schools their Troops can assist in the fall. Both can learn about our new Open House style and all about the theme “Catapult into Scouting!” Some Troops may get catapults they will want to bring to schools to create additional interest in Scouting and their Troop.
Packs, if you have not yet already, please tell me when your school’s “open house, ice cream social, etc.” is AND the date of your Registration Night ASAP! Special orders on signs and flyers are due by July 22nd at the Open House. If you can get this information to me earlier, I can have them printed and ready for July 22nd.
Please register for this rally here: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/30E0F4FAEAC2AA7F49-fall
Thanks and I hope to see you there!
Con Sullivan | District Executive – North Star
In July we will NOT be holding our regularly scheduled meetings for District Committee or District Commissioner’s Staff.
We will be inviting all to attend the District Membership Kickoff on Saturday, July 22, 2017 from 9:00 am to 11:00 am at Luke’s Lodge on the campus of St Luke’s UMC, 100 W 86th St, Indianapolis, IN 46260.
Please plan accordingly.
Don’t forget that tonight at 6:30 pm is the night that Council will hold its first ever Facebook Live session. The subject will be Cub Scout recruiting for the back to school cycle of 2017.
I do not have the direct link to the event. I cannot find it on the council’s Facebook page.
I would recommend simply going to this link.
Please note come on a previous Facebook share, I had indicated the wrong time. The actual start time is 6:30 PM.