Reminders for upcoming activities:
- The 2019 North Star Pinewood Derby will be held on Sat. March 23rd – see this article for details!
Commissioner Meeting / Roundtable:
- The Commissioner meeting is held just prior to Roundtable at 6:30pm, April 11th – then:
- The April Roundtable is Thursday the 11th @ St. Luke’s Lodge. See this article for details.
Scout Night @ Pacers!
- The Pacers will play the Nets on Sunday, April 7th and Scouts are invited! Tipoff is at 5pm, doors open at 4pm. Scouts will get a Scout Night patch, hat, and small meal with ticket purchase. Contact Kalee Grant (ASAP) at (317) 917-2824 or email@example.com for more details.
- SAVE THE DATE! The North Star 2019 Spring Camporee will be held at Camp Cullom, Frankfort, IN during the weekend of April 26th through 28th. The theme will be “Observing 100 Years of North Star.” A rocket launch is planned for that Saturday afternoon – bring rockets if you wish. More details to come soon!
- Troop 343 is also hosting a BSA Swim Check on Monday Apr. 1, see this article for details.
- Den Leader / Cubmaster training: Be sure to check out the available online training at my.scouting.org .
Thanks all, and have a great week in Scouting!
Whether they are ready for delivery is a different questions.
The e-books are not yet listed on amazon.com, though. (I get mine on Kindle now.)
UPDATED: More information on Bryan on Scouting. Notice the logo over the right pocket is slightly changed.
What’s new or different about the Scouts BSA uniform?
- The Scouts BSA uniform shirt comes in sizes and cuts for women and girls.
- New uniform pants for women and girls can be rolled up at the leg to be worn as capri pants. Women and girls can also purchase the current, switchback-style uniform pants that zip off at the knee.
- The new shirt is tan and features a BSA fleur-de-lis emblem and the letters “BSA” in red over the right pocket. The existing inventory of
tan shirts, with “BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA” in red over the right pocket, will be available until they’re all sold out.
Can I still wear previous-generation uniform pieces?
Yes. With BSA uniforms, the rule is: once official, always official.
Can I mix and match old and new uniform pieces?
Yes. For example, you could wear the new tan Scouts BSA uniform shirt with previous-generation green uniform pants.
Here is more information about the new Handbook for Girls:
Why are there two different handbooks?
The volunteer-led board of directors wanted to ensure Scouts can see themselves represented accurately in the pages, and having two handbooks was the most effective way to do that.
The photos reflect the troop of which the Scout is a member. In other words, boys will see images of other boys in the Scouts BSA Handbook for Boys; girls will see images of other girls in the Scouts BSA Handbook for Girls.
Is the content the same between the Scouts BSA Handbook for Boys and the Scouts BSA Handbook for Girls?
Yes, the content, requirements and page numbers are exactly the same. All that’s different is the photos.
What did and didn’t change from the Boy Scout Handbook to the Scouts BSA Handbooks?
What didn’t change:
- Program elements
What did change:
- Images, which reflect the troop of which the Scout is a member
- The program name — Boy Scouts becomes Scouts BSA
- Youth Protection guidelines, which are regularly updated to keep young people safe
- Minor grammar and formatting fixes to the 13th Edition of the Boy Scout Handbook
Can a Scout continue to use the 13th Edition of the Boy Scout Handbook?
They have even opened a Kindle Store to find BSA products there easier.
There are new training modules coming in January. They will not match current ones. Finish partials now or start over!
More from National here.
UPDATE from Bryan on Scouting.
Just a reminder about the North Star District hosting of the course for:
TRAIN the TRAINER (Scouts BSA course D70)
December 1, 2018
9 AM till Noon
1705 N. Meridian St.
Indianapolis, IN 46228
REGISTRATION IS LIMITED
Please email Kevin Neese (firstname.lastname@example.org) to register for the class.
NO WALK-INS WILL BE ACCEPTED
This is the training to help make you a “TRAINED” Facilitator of training.
Remember rechartering is only a few weeks away. Now is the time to make sure your roster is up to date. Send it to Jessica Hofman to make sure council’s records match.
Then review the training for your unit. If you have 100% trained of next year’s leaders, you are all set. Otherwise, get them trained.
A Scout deserves a Trained Leader!
Please encourage those considering or appointed to Den Leader, Assistant Den Leader, Cubmaster, Assistant Cubmaster and anyone else interested to attend training held this fall at various locations and dates:
- SEPTEMBER ROUNDTABLE (Sept. 13, 7pm);
- District-sponsored in-person training:
- SEPT. 27: St. Luke’s UMC / Luke’s Lodge, 100 W. 86th St. Indy, 7pm
- OCT. 23: Zionsville Town Hall, 1100 W. Oak St., Zionsville, 7pm
- Various other in-person training sponsored by the Crossroads of America Council – see previous article here;
- Online at my.scouting.org . [Tip: Be sure to check your browser to use this site, it prefers to use the latest versions of Google Chrome, MS Internet Explorer, Apple Safari or Mozilla Firefox.]
A Scout deserves a Trained Leader!
Please consider attending the University of Scouting, the premier training event in the council, which is one of the easiest ways for adult volunteers to achieve this goal of becoming a Trained Leader. This single-day training event is designed to supplement any leader’s training. Any Scout leader may attend.
The University of Scouting is based on the BSA’s nationally recognized Four-Function plan, which includes:
- Program: training, camping/outdoor, advancement, and activities/civic service
- Unit service: commissioner service
- Finance: including marketing
- Membership and Relationships
Date: Saturday, November 17 2018
Time: 7am – 4pm
Location: Carmel HS Freshman Center, 520 E. Main St., Carmel IN 46032
For more information, to view the catalog and register please visit this link on the Crossroads of America Council site.
Supplemental info for Unit Commissioners: Commissioner Training Codes_May 2018
Bobwhite Blather is a website written by a long-experienced scouter. As graduates of Wood Badge know, Bobwhite is one of the patrols used in that adult-training course.
In this older post, Frank talks about the problem of Snowplow Parents. Helicopter Parents were bad enough.
Once you read the article, stick around and check out some of Frank’s other enlightening posts about scouting, whether Cub- or Scout-level.
Reminder: District Training dates!
7/11/18 – 7p – YPT – Reilly Room, Golden-Burke Center
7/16/18 – 7p – Den Leader Specific Training -Shaheen Room, Golden-Burke Center
7/18/18 – 7p – YPT – Reilly Room, Golden-Burke Center
7/24/18 – 7p – Den Leader Specific Training – Shaheen Room, Golden-Burke Center
7/25/18 – 7p – YPT – Reilly Room, Golden-Burke Center
10/13/18 – 8a to 4p, Hou Koda is hosting Outdoor Leader Skills for (Boy) Scouts at Camp Krietenstein, 6443 E. County Road 575 N, Center Point, IN.
More training dates will be posted as they are set.