Mr. T, the star of The A-Team and Rocky III, was shopping for groceries on Saturday when he encountered some Cub Scouts from Pack 311.
— Read on blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2018/09/17/mr-t-shows-off-his-scouting-knowledge-donates-to-cub-scouts-selling-popcorn/
The 2018 Fall Camporee theme is “Hocus Pocus”!
- trickery or chicanery
- mystifying jargon
- an incantation used by conjurors or magicians when performing tricks
- conjuring skill or practice
Remember rechartering is only a few weeks away. Now is the time to make sure your roster is up to date. Send it to Jessica Hofman to make sure council’s records match.
Then review the training for your unit. If you have 100% trained of next year’s leaders, you are all set. Otherwise, get them trained.
Reminders for upcoming activities and deadlines!
Camping and Outdoor Events:
- FALL CAMPOREE! See this article for more information
- September Popcorn distribution by Unit is on Sept. 21 at 5425 Exploration Drive, Indianapolis, IN); see this article for more timeline information
- ROUNDTABLES on Sept. 13; see the revised article for more info
- Den Leader / Cubmaster training (This month will be at Sept. Roundtable and at a separate session on Sept. 27; see this article for more info)
- Leave No Trace Master Education Course 2018 Sept 13 – 16 (second weekend of the full course)
- University of Scouting on Nov. 17 – be sure to sign up on the Council website! See this article for more details
Merit Badge Workshops:
- Citizenship in the Nation MB Workshop, next one coming up this Saturday Sept. 15
- Hou Koda district 2018 Fall Merit Badge Workshop, Oct. 20: click here to register
- Lange Challenge – do you have your camping nights tracking workbooks turned in to Paul Kovach? If not please get that to him ASAP! See this article for details.
- RECHARTERING 2018 – Start with the Roster Review for your Unit… then stay tuned, more to come soon.
Thanks all, and have a great week in Scouting!
In person popcorn sales began on August 25!
Thanks to all of you who participated in OPERATION POPCORN PICKUP as well as the Popcorn festival these past couple of weekends. Looking forward to a great popcorn selling season.
Key sales dates:
|September 10||September Orders Due on the Popcorn System at scouting.trails-end.com|
|September 20 & 21||September Order Product Distribution by Unit|
|October 21||FINAL SALES DAY!|
|October 23||Final day for Product Returns|
|October 28||Final Popcorn Orders and Prize Order due at scouting.trails-end.com|
|October 28||Last day to complete Unit-to-Unit Transfers–form on crossroads.trails-end.com|
|November 15 -16||Final Order Product distribution by Unit|
|November 30||Final Payments due to CAC Offices|
SEE the Trail’s End Council page for more product pickup, returns, and cash & carry dates and locations: Trail’s End CAC
Tutorial on using the Trail’s End Phone App can be found here: Tutorial
Please keep in mind the situation with Kroger: Article here
GOOD LUCK WITH POPCORN SALES!!
Reminder – please mark your calendar for the September 13, 2018 meeting, 7:00 pm at St. Luke’s Lodge, St. Luke’s United Methodist Church, 100 West 86th St, Indianapolis, IN 46260.
Everyone is welcome!
September Roundtable topics are:
- Q&A about Rechartering; also,
- Den leader training for new leaders, existing leaders, and adults whom the Packs would like to invite to the leadership ranks in the coming year.
Boy Scouts (Family Scouts):
- A discussion around youth and adult leadership training; also,
- An overview of OA and Firecrafter, and how to successfully implement in a troop or crew.
Please forward this information to your Den Leaders, Committee members, and Assistant Scoutmasters. They are an important part of the Roundtables’ target audience.
Remember, attending roundtables is a key requirement to earn the Scouter’s Key for both Cub Scout leaders and Boy Scout leaders.
A Scout deserves a Trained Leader!
Please consider attending the University of Scouting, the premier training event in the council, which is one of the easiest ways for adult volunteers to achieve this goal of becoming a Trained Leader. This single-day training event is designed to supplement any leader’s training. Any Scout leader may attend.
The University of Scouting is based on the BSA’s nationally recognized Four-Function plan, which includes:
- Program: training, camping/outdoor, advancement, and activities/civic service
- Unit service: commissioner service
- Finance: including marketing
- Membership and Relationships
Date: Saturday, November 17 2018
Time: 7am – 4pm
Location: Carmel HS Freshman Center, 520 E. Main St., Carmel IN 46032
For more information, to view the catalog and register please visit this link on the Crossroads of America Council site.
Supplemental info for Unit Commissioners: Commissioner Training Codes_May 2018
Announcing a Scholarship Fund that is now available for the Voyageur Adult Canoe & Kayak Training Program!
This train-the-trainer program, established over 50 years ago, preparing adults to teach youth how to have fun safely with canoes and kayaks, is now offering scholarships.
One or more scholarships in the amount of $50.00 will be available for each Voyageur adult training class beginning in Fall of 2018. All scholarships are gifts to attend the program, and are not loans.
1. Applicant must be a currently registered adult leader with the Boy Scouts of America.
2. Applicants must be:
a. In financial need to attend adult Voyageur training;
b. Registered with a unit within the Crossroads of America Council;
c. In a unit that is planning to conduct unit training and outings centered on canoeing and/or kayaking within the next two years.
3. Applicants must present the completed application (linked here) to the Voyageur Course Director, preferably prior to a course start date but not later than the final Saturday of the course.
The scholarship program is made possible through the generosity of Voyageur staff alumnae Don and Diane Claffey.
The Fall 2018 course is Sept. 7 – 9 at Camp Belzer, for more details and to register for the camp visit this page.
For more information on the program itself please visit the Voyageur website: http://www.voyageurbsa.org/ .
Calling All Unit Popcorn Kernels!
The name of the your mission is OPERATION POPCORN PICKUP.
Date: Friday, August 24
Time: A time slot to be determined between 12noon and 5pm
Place: North Star District Popcorn Warehouse: IDS (Integrated Distribution Services), 9431 All Points Parkway, Plainfield, IN 46168
Your mission (should you choose to accept) is to help DRIVE to the NS POPCORN WAREHOUSE (IDS), ANNOUNCE YOUR NAME & UNIT (Crew, Pack, or Troop) & PICKUP THE POPCORN THAT YOU HAVE ORDERED!! Should you successfully complete your mission, you will get to take your popcorn with you and raise ALL the funds you could EVER NEED (and want) for your IDEAL YEAR OF SCOUTING!!!.
*** If you have not already done so please pick a time at the SignUp Genius Link: ***
Please contact our NS District Popcorn Kernel, Kimberly Gorham at email@example.com for more information.
GOOD LUCK TROOPS!!