- New District Name: The Monon District
- OA FALL ORDEAL Oct. 23-25
- Bewitched Belzer Bash
- Fall Camporee 2020 update and future schedule
- Cub Scout Adventures On-line
- Eagle Scout Information
- Merit Badge requirements during Covid-19
- District Committee Meetings and Roundtable Dates 2020
- University of Scouting – Nov. 14 2020
- OA NEWS: Temporary Camping Night Policy Due to COVID-19
- Guide to Safe Scouting Newsletter
The induction weekend, called the Ordeal, is the first step toward full membership in the Order of the Arrow, the National Honor Society of the Boy Scouts of America. All candidates for membership must complete the Ordeal and this is an extra Ordeal to help those candidates that were unable to attend either the Aug. or Sept. Ordeals.
For more information or to register https://scoutingevent.com/160-2020FallOrdeal
If you miss registering online, limited walk-in registrations will be accepted as this is a capped event due to COVID-19. Also, if you have any questions or foresee any conflicts, please read our Frequently Asked Questions page at http://jaccostownelodge.org/faq.html or email our Lodge Chief at email@example.com, or Matthew Walker, Lodge Staff Adviser at firstname.lastname@example.org
It’s official! Our merged district has a new name.
We are now: The Monon District!
District Commissioners and Committee members generated a list of names to consider. Those names were whittled down to a few great candidates. Of those, one name received wide support and helped to set the stage for our future.
We picked something that was geographical in nature. The Monon Trail passes through both of the former districts. It is also a green space that is well used by families and promotes fitness. Two things that Scouting also tries to promote.
We will very much miss the Del-Mi and North Star names and the histories that went with them! As we say goodbye to our much loved Del-Mi and North Star names, let us look forward to the future of a tremendously talented district.
Leaders will start to see the role out of this name. New email lists are being put together as we speak. New communication methods are also being developed and will be made available very soon.
Yours in Scouting,
Bob Bissell and Paul Kovach
Monon District Co-chairs
Bewitched Belzer Bash
October 24, 2020 5:00 -9:00 P.M.
Join us for our annual Bewitched Belzer Bash for a night of spooky family fun in a setting that can’t be beat!
We’ll have activities including:
– Haunted Hike
Admission is $20 per person, dinner is included.
Attendance is limited and reservation in advance is required. No walk-ins allowed. Sanitation will be increased with regular cleaning of program equipment and social distancing will be required between groups. We will also follow the recommendations of state and local health organization which may include requiring masks.
Bring along the whole family for some frightfully good fun!
Roundtable is a monthly meeting for all registered leaders and parents to share best practices and learn about Scouting. Roundtable meets on the 2nd Thursday of every month. Generally Roundtable features a breakout for Cub Scouts and Scouts BSA specific material.
Until further notice, all Roundtables are Virtual. Zoom meeting information can be found through unit leader communication.
Please join the meeting using the link below:
Meeting ID: 931 4082 5133
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,93140825133#,,,,,,0#,,076911# US (Germantown)
+13126266799,,93140825133#,,,,,,0#,,076911# US (Chicago)
Dial by your location
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 931 4082 5133
CAC Fall Conference – Oct 3rd, 2020
We would like all of our Committee Members, Commissioners, Unit leaders, Parents, etc. to attend this virtual event on 10/3.
Agenda: General Session
- Opening & Welcome
· Virtual den resources & Opportunities for in-person
· Camp construction updates/timeline & Camp 2021 updates
· STEM/Exploring Launch
· New District Name Rollouts (videos)
· Comments by CEO Joe Wiltrout to segway us in to Elective Sessions
Elective Sessions—Council, District, and Unit Level volunteers
· Advancement & Training
· Commissioners & Unit Leaders
· Community Service
· District Chairs, Charter Org Reps & Unit Committee Chairs
· Development/FOS (FOS Team, Table Hosts, Popcorn Kernels, Treasurers, etc.)
· Scoutbook/Den Leaders/Parents of new Cubs
· Youth Leadership (OA, Firecrafter, Camp Staff)—How units are using tech and still meeting in-person, camping, etc.
Registration is required. To register: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdQAVGIPhVOFkAor3qcmCYcTQ5uHyI1KIAEt5NLPnvBpXrZUw/viewform
It’s that time of the year. Time to prepare for recharter.
- Expect email with log in to begin online recharter between September 25th – October 1st.
- Online Recharter cannot be accessed by units unil October 1st.
- Journey to Excellence – revised unit criteria, due to the pandemic, is available at https://www.scouting.org/awards/journey-to-excellence/unit/2020-scorecards-english/
Tips & Tricks
- Cub Scouts – each Tiger/Lion must be matched to an adult partner (# of Tigers = # Tiger adult partners)
- Must have 3 committee members
- 1 chair or 2 members
- Only COR can have multiple positions (CC cannot be CM)
- Committee Member cannot be DL
- Don’t use a Mac
- Cross your i’s and dot your t’s
- Review apps, get all signatures and paperwork, verify YPT
- Duncan B did an Eagle project of creating a trail through the wooded area at Second Presbyterian Church that links up to the newly installed bridge. This project also had to wait until late May / early June, so that Covid precautions could be developed and implemented.
The picture of Duncan on the trail without a mask, was done post project – with no one else around. The picture of Dr. Blank (with wheelbarrow) was taken with no one else around and mask off – so you could see his face.
The picture of Mr. Votaw delivering wood chips and two Scouts spreading them out in that area – shows the mask requirements.
Scouts and Scouters:
The Central Section Fall Camporee scheduled for October 23-25, 2020 has been cancelled due to impacts of COVID-19. We apologize for the cancellation of this event because after months of isolation and virtual events we were looking forward to reconnecting for Scouting activities with our districts. The good news is that we have retained the reservations at Ransburg Scout Reservation for these dates so that your troop or crew may camp at Ransburg that weekend and enjoy the fall weather with your fellow scouts. Currently, not all campsites are available at Ransburg, therefore reservations are available on a first come, first served basis for units in our section only. Please contact Reem Okar [317-813-7094] to book your unit for the weekend at Ransburg.
The scheduled dates for future Camporees are:
- Winter: January 22-24, 2021
- Spring: April 23-25, 2021
- Fall: October 22-24, 2021.
We hope that we can resume the Camporees in 2021!
Cub Scout Adventures – Video Resources. These are meant to be great resource tools for the current climate we are in. The Council is also planning on producing additional video’s (about one a week) to supplement these.