UPDATED 2/23/18 at Council Training Director Jay Soucy’s request to reflect new language for the deadline to complete training. The updated language is underlined below. The deleted language is crossed out. The original language was intended for council’s professional staff only. The new language applies to all volunteers. This is consistent with the first bullet point on the last list. The language change hopefully avoids any confusion.
I just received the following email via Central Section’s Director of Field Service Ken Ruppel (District Executive Jessica Hofman’s supervisor). It is a copy of an email sent to all council staff after my article posted yesterday.
On February 1st, 2018 the New Mandatory Youth Protection Training was released online. Currently, the training is only available through my.Scouting.org. This training is replacing all previous Youth Protection trainings and will become the one training all adults complete. The previous versions of trainings have been removed from my.Scouting.org already.
Crossroads of America is a pacesetter council for Youth Protection training and has set a goal of April 30th, 2018 to be 100% trained. Join us in becoming a Youth Protection Hero and take your training today! (DELETED:
We need to continue to be a PACESETTER Team so I’m asking you, yes every one of YOU, to complete this training by February 28th, 2018. Your staff leaders are aware that you will be completing this task during your normal working hours however you like – completing all the modules and quiz at once or taking a module a day. This will help prepare us all to answer questions about the training.)
The training has 3 modules and a final quiz that must be completed:
- Overview and Policies (20 min.)
- Sexual Abuse (20 min.)
- Bullying (20 min.)
- Quiz (10 min.)
You must score a 75% or better on the quiz to successfully complete this training.
Things to know prior to taking the training:
- You need your login and password for my.scouting.org
- On the dash board there is only one training option to select.
- Yes, it should say you are trained and have ### days left before you expire. It’s still tracking your old training information.
- On your computer you will be prompted to turn on your pop blocker
- Some text is in White and can be hard to read.
- There have been some reported issues already with a few videos not completing.
I’ve attached a FAQ sheet to help you answer volunteer questions as they come up.
Here are some highlights:
- Our goal is to have all Registered Adults complete the training prior to April 30th.
- There will be additional recommended trainings released later on this year.
- There is a new ScoutsFirst Helpline (844)-Scouts1 or (844)726-8871. Anyone can call a Youth Protection violation into this numbers as it’s open 24 hours a day.
- Training is good for 2 years.
If you have questions about the training or suggestion for improvements please send them to Sherry Webb.
Jay Soucy | Training Director
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA
Crossroads of America Council
Copies of Jay’s attachments are linked here: