Philmont Postpones Start of 2020 Season to July 1st

Posted on Updated on

Philmont Postpones Start of 2020 Season to July 1stPhilmont

Update 5/1/2020 – 2:30 PM

It is hard to imagine a more difficult circumstance for operating Philmont Scout Ranch. Our mission brings people together and Delivers Wilderness Adventures that Last a Lifetime. Yet as our state, region, and the entire world continues to deal with the evolving COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, we realize the nature of this virus, and how it spreads, presents significant challenges for Philmont.  Your safety, health, and well-being remain our top priority.

The staff at Philmont continue to work relentlessly through every scenario for opening, in conjunction with the constantly evolving environment that this challenge presents to all Americans.  In light of the state of New Mexico’s extension of stay at home orders through May 15th and decisions that other community and public entities have made to close, we have made the difficult decision to delay the opening of Philmont until July 1.

We will continue to follow updates and recommendations from the CDC, NM Governor Lujan Grisham, and state and local health departments, and monitor data and decisions from other states and entities across the country.  Additional updates will be provided on May 15 and June 1.

This affects the following programs:

  • Treks and Cavalcades – All adventures scheduled to arrive at Philmont before July 1 are canceled.
  • Individual Treks – All treks scheduled to begin before July 1 are canceled.
  • Philmont Training Center – All conferences scheduled to begin before July 5 are canceled.
  • Family Adventure Camp – All adventures scheduled to begin before July 1 are canceled.
  • Staff – Staff arrivals and positions are being altered to fit our new opening date and program model.

Please know that when we open on July 1st, the Philmont program will look different to allow for appropriate social distancing. Philmont has begun implementing the following steps to promote a safer environment:

  • Developing pre-travel protocols
  • Pre-arrival screening
  • Extensive on-site screening
  • Increased cleaning and sanitization in shared spaces, buildings, vehicles, and program areas
  • Large gatherings, including campfires and chapel services, will be limited or eliminated
  • Adjustments in our dining hall operations
  • Any participant or staff member in a high-risk category for protection from COVID-19 should not attend Philmont this year, because of established protocols by our country’s medical experts.
  • Additional measures will be implemented per CDC guidelines.

National High Adventure Base Refund Policy

If the Boy Scouts of America or a National High Adventure Base (HAB) cancels your program due to COVID-19, you can reschedule your adventure and apply fees to an alternate date later in 2020 or 2021 (and 2022 at PSR and NT) at 2020 pricing.  If it is not possible for you to reschedule, you will receive a full refund of fees paid.

If you cancel your program during the COVID-19 outbreak, you may select an adventure later in 2020 or 2021 (and 2022 at PSR and NT) at 2020 pricing.  If it is not possible for you to reschedule, you will receive a refund of fees paid less 10% (to support the program costs of operating the HAB).

Refunds will be processed within 10-12 weeks.

Wilderness First Aid and CPR

Philmont highly encourages crew leadership to complete the Wilderness First Aid and CPR requirements as written in the Guidebook to Adventure, however, Philmont will not deny crews a Philmont adventure due to the inability to meet WFA and CPR requirements during the 2020 season. Philmont’s program model has been adjusted to accommodate crews who do not have these certifications.

Health and Medical Record

State by state requirements for physicals have complicated and delayed the solution for participants who have been unable to complete the Annual Health and Medical Record this calendar year. We are confident that with the delay of the start of the summer that a solution will be available by May 15th with plenty of time for crews to complete before they depart for Philmont.

Next Steps

Philmont asks that affected units and individuals please reference their emails, and where appropriate, work through their Reservation Contact and/or Lead Advisor to make decisions for their unit(s). The Philmont staff is working remotely so phone calls cannot be answered as quickly as we would desire. Through using the surveys that have been disseminated, our registrars will be able to prioritize and complete all necessary actions as quickly as possible. We do anticipate the process of rescheduling, canceling, and adjusting crews to take through the end of May. Thank you for your patience.

  • The Reservation Contact and Lead Advisor for each crew have received a link to the survey. Members of the crew should reach out to their Lead Advisor to provide feedback.
  • Crews that were scheduled to arrive before July 1 are encouraged to reschedule for 2021 or 2022 (as space allows) or transfer to another high adventure base closer to their home.
  • Crews that are no longer able to travel to Philmont for an adventure this summer are encouraged to transfer to 2021 or 2022 (as space allows), transfer to another high adventure base, or cancel their reservation.
  • Crews that cancel and request a refund, will be subject to the refund policy listed above and will receive their refund within 10-12 weeks of cancellation.
  • Philmont has adjusted the minimum crew size to 5 participants (minimum of 2 adults) to allow for individual participants to cancel without canceling the crew. Philmont will match you with a sister crew as needed to meet Health and Safety needs.
  • Philmont will waive the adult to youth ratio (if YPT guidelines are met) to accommodate Scouts who will “age out” by the time they are rescheduled through 2022.
  • Philmont Training Center/Family Adventure Camp Participants have received an email with a survey to help us reschedule or cancel their registration.
  • Individual Trek Participants have received an email with information on rescheduling or canceling their adventure.
  • Staff have received communication from the Seasonal Personnel office. Those who now have other plans for the summer should notify their hiring manager immediately and we eagerly await their application for the 2021 season.

2 thoughts on “Philmont Postpones Start of 2020 Season to July 1st

    […] Philmont Postpones Start of 2020 Season to July 1st […]


    […] Philmont Postpones Start of 2020 Season to July 1st […]


Comments are closed.