Our chartered organization St. Monica’s Catholic Church had a fire. Initial reports are that it suffered $400,000 damage to the area around its Narthex.
District Commissioner Jeff Heck has spoken to their Chartered Organization Representative Chuck Meers for Pack 514 and Troop 514. Chuck reports no immediate needs for his units, but he acknowledges that this is subject to change as rebuilding begins. The units meet in an out-building, so they did not take a direct hit from the fire.
In the meantime, please keep these loyal scouters and their fellow parishioners in your thoughts and prayers.
UPDATE 9/9/2015 11:55 am:
A statement from Archbishop Joseph Tobin:
You probably have already heard about the fire at St. Monica Church early this morning.
· There was a serious fire at St. Monica Church early on the morning of September 9, 2015. The first alarm was sounded about 3:30 AM. Fathers Todd Goodson and Martín Rodriguez as well as Michelle Boyd (school principal) and Barbara Bacon (business manager), rushed to the scene.
· There were no injuries.
· The narthex of the church is destroyed. While there is no fire or water damage to the worship space, the church proper was filled with smoke and there is probably some damage. The school and other buildings were not damaged.
· The cause of the fire has not yet been determined.
· Classes have been cancelled for today but Mass was celebrated at 8:00 AM in the gym.
· Please pray for the parish of St. Monica.