From NS Camping & Outdoor Programming Chair Paul Kovach:
Several questions have come regarding how to report data for the Lange Challenge. To help better understand the Challenge criteria and how the data will be used, directly for the Challenge, and indirectly to monitor camping in the council, please read below.
The Lange Challenge
To provide additional incentive for the council to emphasis Boy Scout camping and advancement. A contribution of $100,000 per year for ten years from the ADL Charitable Trust to the Crossroads of America Council, when Challenge criteria are met.
Scouting continues to be guided by the Scout Oath and Law.
- Achieve Journey to Excellence Gold Standard by having a minimum of 80% of Crossroads of America Council Boy Scouts annually attend long-term summer camp and/or participate in a high adventure opportunity.
- Achieve a minimum of 42% of Crossroads of America Council Boy Scouts advancing in rank in 2015. The percentage increases each year by 1% until 50% is achieved and then maintained.
- Achieve a minimum of 60% of Crossroads of America Council Boy Scout Troops annually conducting seven short-term overnight campouts in 2015. The percentage increases each year by 1% until 70% is achieved and then maintained.
Criteria #1 and #3 directly correlate with camping participation.
- Long-term or high adventure camping events are monitored according to the JTE standard for camping, which runs from July to June as currently tabulated. Since we also want to capture the most recent summer camping season, the period for this reporting is extended through the end of August, thus the total reporting period is July 2017 to August 2018, inclusive. The reporting should count the total number of scouts in the unit participating in long-term or high adventure camping events.
- Short-term camping, such as monthly outings, are encouraged through planning in the Ideal Year of Scouting program. The requirement is for at least 7 short-term campouts over the reporting period. The reporting must count the total number of unit campout events. The spreadsheet allows additional data on each event to be reported to improve our understanding of troop events.
Thanks for your efforts towards camping data collection! If you need further clarification or have other questions, please contact Paul Kovach.
ALSO ==> See this prior post for the documents and references: Camping Log / Lange Challenge Update .
Pack and Scout Leaders,
Please continue to send your questions to Paul Kovach and I regarding completing the Camping Log assignment for the Lange Challenge. We’ll post an FAQ within the week from the questions we’ve seen thus far to help you in your compilation of the log data.
Thanks to those who have completed their logs!
Please also see this prior post: