Have you had your Boy Scouts take their Den Chief Training? In-person is always best.
But online is better than none. This requires Flash, so it will not work on Apple mobile devices. If your computer does not have Adobe Flash already, you can download it for free from Adobe.com.
Den Leaders, Scoutmasters, and future Den Chiefs should all take the training just to make sure that everyone is on the same page.
Den Leaders should have a short bullet-point list of expectations to share with the Den Chief and Scoutmaster to provide accountability and ease of cooperation. Here is an example of where you can start.
From Council Training Committee Scribe Barbara Blue:
NEW UPCOMING EVENT: Council is conducting a Tiger Scout Forum.
Forum will happen in October and November—Tiger leader/parent will attend BOTH sessions. All new Tiger Cub Den Leaders will be invited to the Forum by the district. These will occur on the same night at the District’s Roundtable. These may or may not be at the same location as the District’s Roundtable. Tiger leaders will be taught how to do adventures and they will receive things to help. They will also be trained as Tiger Cub Den Leaders during this forum. A Training Team member needs to be involved with this Forum, but the person(s) running the forum should be about the same age as Tiger leaders—25 to 35 years old. The Training Committee members will be copied on emails about the Forum.
David Cobb sent an email to previous instructors at University of Scouting asking if they will teach again. Catalog is ALMOST done. Hopefully the pdf version will be out next week to start sharing. There are about 25 new classes—many of the aimed at Cub Scout Leaders.
Wood Badge is in September. 39 are signed up. Looking for at least 8 more participants. First weekend at Ransburg and second weekend at Redwing. Matt Best will be asking for contact information for your district’s social media person— watch for it! Or send it to him so he can promote WB. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Del-Mi District and Northstar District are teaming up to do an OLS on October 28. They are looking for instructors so if you know someone who can teach a session, send contact information to [Event Chair Stephen Heath (troop 358) email@example.com].
Del-Mi District is also hosting Scoutmaster Specific Training and BALOO Training on September 30 at Camp Belzer.
Reports from some people unable to attend this evening:
From Wabash Valley (Terre Haute area):
- Boy Scout Leader Specific, Saturday, September 2, 9 am to 3 pm at Camp Wildwood
- Cub Scout Leader Training, Thursday, September 21, 6 to 9 pm at Camp Wildwood
- Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills and Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders, Saturday, September 23, 8:30 am to 5:30 pm at the Fall Camporee at the Vigo County Conservation Club. This does require overnight camping.
- Cub Scout Leader Training, Wednesday, October 11, 6 to 9 pm at Camp Wildwood
- Den Chief Training, Saturday, October 28, 9 am to 4 pm at Camp Wildwood
- Boy Scout Leader Specific Training (i.e., Scoutmaster, Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop Committee Chair/Member), March 17, 2018, 9 am to 3 pm at Camp Wildwood
- BALOO Training, Saturday, April 7, 2018, 8 am to 4 pm.
- Introduction to Outdoor Leader Skills & Outdoor Leader Skills for Webelos Leaders, Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 8:30 am to 5:30 pm. More details soon. This does require overnight camping.
- Den Chief Training, Saturday in May, 2018, more details soon.
Also, spread the word, see attached flyer for Catholic Retreat for Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Girl Scouts who are Catholic.
From Pathfinder District (Greenwood area):
- Autumn Leader Training, Saturday, September 9, 8 am to 2 pm at Greenwood United Methodist. See attached flyer or visit https://scoutingevent.com/160-pfautumntrng992017
- WRFA course dates are turned in for 2018 and will be available soon
From Golden Eagle District (Muncie area):
- Committee Challenge and Unit Chair Training, September 6, 7 to 9:30 pm at Muncie Scout Service Center
- Lion Den Guide Training, September 11, 7 to 8 pm at Muncie Scout Service Center
- Den Leader Training, September 12, 7 to 9 pm at Muncie Scout Service Center
- Den Leader Training, September 13, 7 to 9 pm at Muncie Scout Service Center
- Unit Training Coordinator Training (all unit types), September 20, 7 to 9 pm, at Muncie Scout Service Center
- Unit Training Coordinator Training (for Troops and Crews only), September 27, 7 to 8:30, at Muncie Scout Service Center
- Den Chief Training (4 hours) and “Do-it-to-it” Eagle’s Knob, October 21, at Camp Redwing
- SM/ASM Position Specific Training, October 27, 6:30 to 10 pm at Camp Redwing
- Cub Leader Position Specific Training, October 27, 6:30 to 10 pm at Camp Redwing
- Intro to Outdoor Leader Skills and OWLS Training, October 28, 8am to 5 pm at Camp Redwing
- BALOO, October 28, 8am to 3 pm at Camp Redwing
- Venturing Position Specific Training, October 28, 8 am to 5 pm at Camp Redwing
- Troop/Pack/Crew Committee Challenge, October 28, 3 to 5 pm at Camp Redwing
- Intro to Backpacking, October 28 to 29, 5 pm Sat to Noon Sunday at Camp Redwing
- Outdoor Ethic Guide Training, November 3, 6 to 10 pm at Muncie Scout Service Center
- And More in 2018 (see attached flyer)
Here are all the flyers referred to above.
- Boy Scout Leader Specific 9-2-17
- Catholic Scout Retreat 2017
- Cub Leader Specific 9-21-17
- Cub Leader Specific 10-11-17
- Den Chief Training Flyer 10-28-17
- GE DENCHIEF TRAINING flyer- OCT2017
- GE NEW DEN LEADER TRAINING flyer-SEPT2017
- GE NEW LIONCUB GUIDE TRAINING flyer-SEPT2017
- GE TRNG SCHEDULE flyer-080117
- GE UNIT TRAINER TRAINING flyer-Sept2017
- IOLS-OWL 9-23-17
- OE GUIDE ORIENTATION COURSE NOV2017 CAC flyer
- OE GUIDE ORIENTATION COURSE Outline Sep2016
- OE GUIDE&LNT TRAINER COURSE APR2018 CAC flyer
- PF Fall Training 2017
For more information on training, see the Council Training Hub. (If the calendar is blank, select “Category” in the upper left corner of the calendar window, then check “Training,” then “Apply Filter.” The entire list of trainings should then appear month-by-month.)
Remember that the following trainings must be done in person and are NOT available on my.scouting.org:
- Introduction to Outdoor Leadership (IOLS) (required for scoutmasters, assistant scoutmasters, and venturing advisors and associate advisors);
- Outdoor Webelos Leaders Skills (OWLS) (required for Webelos Den Leaders);
- Basic Outdoor Leader Outdoor Orientation (BALOO) (Required for at least one adult leader on a Cub Scout Pack campout);
- Den Chief Training (Required for boy scouts seeking to fulfill their Postion of Responsibility through being a Den Chief to a Cub Scout Den).
All of these trainings are offered above at least once.