Silver Beaver Nominations UPDATE (due July 25)
On behalf of Chuck Fippen, Crossroads of America Council Silver Beaver Nominating Committee Chair (email sent to Council / District leaders on April 12):
This year the Silver Beaver selection process is changing and I wanted to communicate some very important information that needs to be shared with your committee(s) in order to facilitate the new process.
- The nominations are now open and the updated application is on the Council’s home page (link included here).
- NOMINATIONS for 2018 ARE DUE JULY 25th…..yes its much earlier this year.
- The Silver Beavers for 2018 will be awarded in a special dinner held in November 2018 (no longer at the University of Scouting).
The selection committee will meet in August to determine our next class of Silver Beavers and hope to have many nominations submitted. Changes to our process and timing are for various reasons. The Silver Beaver is the highest and most prestigious award the a Council can bestow and we want to have a ceremony that is fitting for those selected. Our evening event in November is designed for this recognition and will be a formal event with a venue unto itself.
We have designed notes and training around our selection process this year. I will be updating you with this information very shortly, but in brief here’s a summary:
- We have revised our application to enable online completion. We have had a hard time deciphering hand written applications and we will ask that they be filled out with the PDF entry form that is now available.
- We have emphasized the written part as one of the first items in the application. This often is where we will see information about the nominee that isn’t already part of their Scouting history.
- Applications must be complete in order for consideration. It is highly recommended that multiple sources be used in the formation of the recommendation; people from the nominee’s place of employment, their church and their unit or committee that know them best should be involved.
- Nominations are open for all Scouters that are eligible under the criteria set forth by the BSA. At no time can a volunteer or professional deny or negatively influence the decision to submit a nomination. If anyone feels a nomination is worthy of submission then you are encouraged to make sure that nominee receives the full benefit of the selection process. It is up to the Silver Beaver nominating committee to select those who are to receive the award.
I welcome any questions you may have and look forward to a wonderful ceremony for some very deserving individuals. I hope you also find our process and information helpful and more seamless as we move forward.
Yours in Scouting,
Silver Beaver Nominating Committee Chair