Silver Beaver Award
A fun time was had by all at this year’s North Star Adult Recognition dinner held at the American Legion post in Broad Ripple this past Saturday.
Eddie Stahl, our new Sr. District Executive, and Lee Murdoch, Crossroads BSA Director of Support Services, spoke to the group about their visions for 2019 as well as to recognize North Star adult volunteers for the phenomenal work they are doing for Scouts in our District.
Jerry Simon received the inaugural Jerry Simon North Star District Service Award of Distinction for his 30+ years of dedicated service to the District, much of that focused on mentoring Eagle Projects and leading Eagle Boards of Review.
Stephen Heath and Kevin Neese received District Awards of Merit for both of their continued tireless efforts with our District, and Peter Holtz received Scoutmaster of the Year for his leadership of Troop 56. Mark Pishon received a special recognition for his above and beyond continual service and leadership to North Star. Peter also wrapped up the meeting with a very fitting Scoutmaster Minute.
Mike Yates, the Pishons (Mark and Chris), Paul Kovach and Mark Maucere did a fantastic job of setting up this 100th birthday gala for North Star.
Congratulations to all!
The Silver Beaver award was introduced in 1931 to recognize outstanding adult volunteers at the Council level. This award is the highest level of recognition that the Council may bestow on a volunteer.
And the 2018 Silver Beaver Award Winners are:
John M. Bowyer
Fredrick W. Franz
Robert I. Wager
(Highlighting our North Star District award winners – if anyone was missed on the highlights please send feedback!)
See the full article on the Council site.
On behalf of Chuck Fippen, Crossroads of America Council Silver Beaver Nominating Committee Chair (email sent to Council / District leaders on April 12):
This year the Silver Beaver selection process is changing and I wanted to communicate some very important information that needs to be shared with your committee(s) in order to facilitate the new process.
- The nominations are now open and the updated application is on the Council’s home page (link included here).
- NOMINATIONS for 2018 ARE DUE JULY 25th…..yes its much earlier this year.
- The Silver Beavers for 2018 will be awarded in a special dinner held in November 2018 (no longer at the University of Scouting).
The selection committee will meet in August to determine our next class of Silver Beavers and hope to have many nominations submitted. Changes to our process and timing are for various reasons. The Silver Beaver is the highest and most prestigious award the a Council can bestow and we want to have a ceremony that is fitting for those selected. Our evening event in November is designed for this recognition and will be a formal event with a venue unto itself.
We have designed notes and training around our selection process this year. I will be updating you with this information very shortly, but in brief here’s a summary:
- We have revised our application to enable online completion. We have had a hard time deciphering hand written applications and we will ask that they be filled out with the PDF entry form that is now available.
- We have emphasized the written part as one of the first items in the application. This often is where we will see information about the nominee that isn’t already part of their Scouting history.
- Applications must be complete in order for consideration. It is highly recommended that multiple sources be used in the formation of the recommendation; people from the nominee’s place of employment, their church and their unit or committee that know them best should be involved.
- Nominations are open for all Scouters that are eligible under the criteria set forth by the BSA. At no time can a volunteer or professional deny or negatively influence the decision to submit a nomination. If anyone feels a nomination is worthy of submission then you are encouraged to make sure that nominee receives the full benefit of the selection process. It is up to the Silver Beaver nominating committee to select those who are to receive the award.
I welcome any questions you may have and look forward to a wonderful ceremony for some very deserving individuals. I hope you also find our process and information helpful and more seamless as we move forward.
Yours in Scouting,
Silver Beaver Nominating Committee Chair